Tips

Attention to Halloween: some pumpkins are poisonous

In the weeks of Halloween, you can see pumpkins in all shapes and colors. But not every pumpkin is edible. Every year dozens of people are poisoned by the vegetables.

A pumpkin may taste bland, but not bitter. If that is the case, it is best to spit it out immediately. The Poison Center must give that message regularly. Many people do not know that such a bitter-tasting specimen can cause acute poisoning.

It rarely happens, but pumpkin poisoning can have serious consequences. Even after taking a small amount of pumpkin poisoning, symptoms can occur. People start to vomit, develop colic-like abdominal pain, and severe, sometimes bloody diarrhea. This, in turn, can lead to dehydration symptoms. Dizziness, pronounced salivation, and palpitations can also occur.

The bitter taste of the vegetable is caused by cucurbitacins, toxins that can occasionally be present in the very large family of pumpkin-like plants. Gherkins, courgettes, and melons are also included.

The problem is caused by the cultivation of both pumpkins and ornamental pumpkins in the same garden. Bees can cause cross-pollination between different species.

What makes it even more difficult is the fact that an edible pumpkin cannot be distinguished from an inedible one. That is why it is best to taste the raw fruit. It is also not recommended to use seeds from home-grown pumpkins.

Tags

Nzegwu

Nzegwu I. from Nigeria, I am a content writer and freelancer. A graduate of Anambra State University, with a B.Eng. and other certs in different fields. I love group discussion, travelling and making friends. You can find my contents here. Feel free to mail me. Email: nzegwu@afrinik.com Call: +2349056016522

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button