Global

Eleven deaths in Philippines after drinking coconut wine

Eleven people in the Philippines died this weekend after drinking coconut wine. Hundreds of people were taken to the hospital after consuming the drink, which probably contained large amounts of methanol.

The victims were present at events in the village of Rizal, located southwest of the capital Manila. They complained of stomach ache after drinking the wine, locally known as Lambanog. Nine victims are in critical condition, a spokesman for the hospital in Manila said.

The local government has immediately issued a ban on the sale of the drink, which is very popular during the Christmas holidays. The wine is often brewed illegally.

Eleven deaths in Philippines after drinking coconut wine
©REUTERS

Methanol, found in large quantities in coconut wine, is very toxic. Among other things, methanol is used as fuel for burners of dish heaters and fondue sets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button