A pastor confused gasoline with holy water during a healing cult in a church in Baruwa neighborhood in Lagos, causing a massive explosion and killing a devotee.
“The pastor took a canister filled with gasoline, thinking that it contained water,” said Ibrahim Farinloye, spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA). Thinking to sprinkle the faithful with holy water, the pastor emptied the contents of the jerrycan on a man who had come to receive his blessing.
“A lit candle next door caught fire and both burned,” said Farinloye. The faithful died on the spot. His body was “unrecognizable”, while the pastor suffered “severe burns”. He is under treatment in a hospital of the place.
The church fire then spread to a nearby gas pipeline, which caused a loud explosion and created a vast cloud of gray smoke in the Lagos skies. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, head of Lagos state emergency services (Lasema), confirmed the accident, saying the rescue team was trying to put out the fire caused by the explosion.