Burkina Faso is organizing presidential elections on November 22. President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré faces 12 other candidates in his race for a second term.
The Constitutional Council accepted 13 Presidential candidates in Burkina Faso. Who are they? We suggest you discover them in alphabetical order:
1. PR ABDOULAYE SOMA: Sun of the future, 41 years old, Professor of Law at Thomas Sankara University and Expert Consultant in Constitutional and International Law, and Member of the non-affiliated Opposition (ONA).
2. ABLASSÉ OUEDRAOGO: A different kind Faso, 67 years old, Economist, Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, former Deputy Director-General of the WTO (World Trade Organisation), and he was a candidate for the 2015 presidential election.
3. AMBROISE FARAMA: Organisation of African People-Burkina Faso (OPA-BF) (a Sankarist party), 44 years old, Tax lawyer, Is inscribed in a revolutionary ideological line with revolutionary neo-Pan-Africanism as a political guideline.
4. DR CLAUDE AIMÉ TASSEMBEDO: Independent candidate, 57 years old, Psychologist and Consultant, an expert in organizational management.
5. KIEMDORO DÔ PASCAL SESSOUMA: Vision Burkina, 63 years old, Journalist, Former public television presenter and It is part of a pacifist lineage.
6. EDDIE CONSTANT KOMBOIGO: Congress for Democracy and Progress (CDP), 56 years old, Chartered accountant, Former Member of Parliament. His candidacy had been rejected in 2015 under a law that dismissed supporters of the constitutional amendment that would keep Blaise Compaoré in power and which led to the fall of the Compaoré regime.
7. GILBERT NOËL NOËL OUEDRAOGO: Alliance for Democracy and Federation, African Democratic Rally (ADF-RDA), 52 years old, Former Minister of Transport. Excluded from the 2015 presidential election for supporting the amendment of the constitution in 2014. Is part of a political lineage of liberal and solidarity sensibility.
8. ISAAC ZIDA: Patriotic Salvation Movement (MPS), 55 years old, Officer: former deputy commander of the presidential security regiment under the regime of Blaise Compaoré. Statesman: led the transition for 21 days before being appointed Prime Minister by transition President Michel Kafando. Isaac Zida was adopted by Canada for 4 years and joined his family in Canada in January 2016 after the end of the political transition period.
9. KADRE DESIRED OUEDRAOGO: Acting together, 67 years old, Former Prime Minister from 1996 to 2000. Former President of the Commission of the Community of West African States (ECOWAS) from 2012 to 2016 in Abuja, Nigeria. Held high economic and political positions.
10. ROCH MARC CHRISTIAN KABORÉ: People’s Movement for Progress (MPP), 63 years old, Out-going President. Former President of the National Assembly from 2002 to 2012. Former Prime Minister of Blaise Compaoré from 1994 to 1996. An economist by training, a banker by profession.
11. TAHIROU BARRY: Movement for Change and Renaissance (MCR), 45 years old. A former ally of Roch Marc Christian Kaboré, he held the post of Minister of Culture and Tourism before resigning in 2018. A member of the National Assembly, he sits alongside the parliamentary group of the Union for Progress and Change (UPC) of opposition leader Zéphirin Diabré.
12. YELI MONIQUE KAM: Movement for the Renaissance of Burkina Faso (MRB), 47 years old. Sole candidate, Manager of an insurance brokerage firm. She is nicknamed “The Yenega of Education”. Her party does not yet have an affiliation.
13. DIABETIC ZEPHIRIN: Union for Progress and Change (UPC), 61 years old, Leader of the Opposition. It was his party that nominated him as a presidential candidate. He came second in the 2015 presidential election behind Roch Marc Christian Kaboré. He is a former Minister of the Economy, Finance and Planning.
Full list from CENI