The most heard advice to prevent the spread of the coronavirus is: ‘Stay in your room’. But what if you have to go somewhere by car? Experts from car manufacturer Skoda give advice.
“The main rule is to minimize contact with others,” said Jana Parmova, chief physician at Czech car manufacturer Skoda, in a press release. “If there is an unexpected need to drive, travel alone – do not share the car with anyone. When you are in a car with someone, make sure that a person does not have acute symptoms of respiratory disease. Use a mouth mask if necessary.”
It is dangerous, according to the doctor, to think that your car is a kind of mobile insulation cell with which you can minimize contact with others during necessary journeys, for example, getting groceries. “If you can’t avoid getting in contact with others and going somewhere by car, take preventative hygiene measures,” says Parlova.
According to the doctor, there are a limited number of contact points on and in the vehicle that must be treated regularly to reduce the risk of infections. “Think of door handles, door frames, the steering wheel, and the gear lever. For the sake of completeness, the brand has published two photos for illustrative purposes and prepared the checklist below to reduce the risk of spreading Covid-19 (and other viruses):
1. If you go somewhere by car, try to go alone.
2. If you have one or more passengers on board, avoid any physical contact, and make a note of their contact details so that you can reach them if you become infected.
3. Regularly disinfect your car in the places you touch with a detergent that contains at least 70 percent alcohol. In principle, alcohol does not damage the (artificial) leather upholstery, but you should not scrub like crazy. Then the material can discolor. If you brush gently and do not press too hard, there is nothing to worry about. After cleaning, treat the leather with a protective agent for the leather.
4. Wash your hands regularly.
5. Use a mouth mask if necessary. Many first aid kits supplied by car manufacturers have one. To protect yourself against the coronavirus, you need a mouth mask of class FFP3 or better.
6. Refuel safely. Use a glove while refueling and use a contactless payment method or a mobile application if possible.