Six people were shot on Sunday during a church service in Burkina Faso. Among the dead are churchgoers and the priest who led the church service. The perpetrators are probably Muslim terrorists, according to the report of local security services.
The attack occurred in the town of Dablo, in the province of Sanmatenga, located in the north of Burkina Faso, Africa. Dozens of armed men stormed into the church in the morning and opened fire on the Catholic churchgoers in the town of Dablo. They then set fire to the church.
Local sources speak of twenty to thirty attackers. Nothing is known about any injured people. According to Mayor Ousmane Zong, the terrorists also set fire to other buildings and a health center was looted.
“Armed individuals invaded the Catholic Church,” Zong told the AP news agency. “They opened fire, while the churchgoers tried to flee.” The attack caused great panic in his city, the mayor says. “People have entrenched themselves in their houses, nothing is going on. Shops are closed, it is a ghost town.”
It is still unclear who is behind the attack, but Burkina Faso has been plagued by Muslim terror several times in recent years, committed by fighters affiliated to IS, Al Qaida or Ansarul Islam.
Last month, a Protestant church in the town of Silgadji was attacked, killing six people. Four were also killed in an attack on a Catholic church in a nearby village.